Christmas 2013

Christmas 2013

Deuteronomy 11:18-19

18 Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 19 Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

Deuteronomy 11:18-19

New International Version (NIV)

Thursday, August 25, 2011

FINALLY!! The Last of the Piglets Have Arrived!!

I think I was just as impatient as she was!! This morning when I went out to check on her she had made a great big nest in the same place the other two sows had farrowed in and she did not get up when I went in the pen. Not normal for her but there were no piglets yet!! So I smiled to myself and went back a few hours later.. and there they were!! 7 cute little baby piglets with their ears all smashed back on to the tops of their heads!! 

She had actually birthed 8 but one was born dead. I have no idea why but they've all had a dead one this year. I know it is quite common for them to loose several in the litter, for example my brother recently told us his gilt had had 15 piglets and was raising 11. His other gilt had farrowed 13??, I think?, and was also raising 11. ** I guess I should clarify a little bit.. My brothers pigs are large white pigs and are bred to have larger litters then our Berkshires :) As a breed the Berkshires never have more then 12 and 8 is pretty average. We like it that way :) Actually I shouldn't say she only had 8, that's as many as she had when I last saw her. I think she was finished but what do I know! When Papa gets home we'll head out and have another look. Our pigs have gotten a bit more used to me hanging around lately but they truly LOVE Papa :) She did have a runt, a small orange one like the last one, but it's only 3/4 sized to the rest not half like the gilts runt. I think it will do quite well! You can see the runt in the pictures... it is the one on the far left. ** Update.. she did only have the 8, Papa and I had a good look just a few minutes ago and all is well. More pictures soon!! 

While I had the camera with me I snapped this one of the older piglets sun bathing by the waterer while several hens get a drink! 

No comments: