Christmas 2013

Christmas 2013

Deuteronomy 11:18-19

18 Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 19 Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

Deuteronomy 11:18-19

New International Version (NIV)

Monday, September 14, 2009

Beans

Well for the 1st time EVER I used my pressure canner!! And actually I've used it quite a bit since then. We planted 2 rows of beans late this spring and with the help of some white row covers we got 18 jars of green beans put up. It would have been more but we ate a bit and I was saving some in the fridge in jars ready to be canned when I had enough and they 'went' on me. I'm not sure why?? Anyway now I know not to store them, just can them. The 1st time I used it I started it when the kids were up but watching a movie in the living room and finished it at nap time. When we weren't blown to bits and nothing else bad happened I started using it whenever and whenever I needed too. But the kids still stay in the living room. That's a constant when we are cooking anyway so they know the drill!! I also pressure canned Pork'N Beans and I'm planning on doing kidneys as soon as we are done the salsa and perishables this fall. I already have the dry beans and we never use them because I forget to soak them before I need them or don't have time to cook them so I thought why not? My beans are still producing but mostly we are eating the little bit they are giving. If we get another bigger batch I'll probably do some more quart jars full. At 1 quart of beans = roughly 2 meals for the 6 of us we've got enough for about 36 meals. Not so shabby for 2 little 25 foot rows!!

No comments: